Thursday, January 16, 2014

EN - The Most Important Posession

Flowers a boy gave me

Today, I taught my students the difference between possessive forms of nouns and plural noun forms. (e.g. desk's versus desks).

After I explained what the word "possession" means, I asked them, "What is your most important possession in your life as of today?"

One boy said, "My surfboard!"
One girl said, "My baby brother."
Another boy said, "My Xbox Santa gave me!"
Another girl said, "My stuffed animals."

After I heard everyone's important possessions, casually, not expecting them to answer, I simply wondered aloud while posing as if I was thinking (I actually was), "I wonder what my most important possession is...?"

The next moment, all of them shouted, "Dancing and teaching!"

I was shocked. I stood there agape with surprise.
They seemed to know me really well :)

Both dancing and teaching do not have concrete forms. They are concepts, so I was also amazed by the fact that they have reached a developmental point where they know that we can "possess" intangible ideas.

What I wish for the children is for them to possess not only tangible things but more so things that do not have forms, such as kindness and courage.

When you hear the word, "possess," it may be associated with monopolization or selfishness, but I think that we can also have an image of integration - owning it and holding it in us with dignity.

This way, whatever we possess can be possessed by the world; it would belong to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment