Sunday, March 9, 2014

EN - Honolulu Festival 2014 - The Second Day

Photo by Akihiro Takeuchi
Our introduction in the festival brochure

This year's Honolulu Festival was the 20th year.
It was conceived in 1994, in the hope of bridging Hawaii and cultures from around the Pacific Ring.

Our group, Suga Izanai Ren, has been participating consecutively from the very first year, and I heard that we are the only one who's done that. Our beloved Suga Kunitomo did not want to miss a year because she believed that Honolulu was an ideal place due to its multi-nationality to share her message with the world - that we are all one.

My very first year of dancing at the festival was in 2000 - 14 years ago, which was the 6th year of the festival. I was 17 years old back then.

I still vividly remember the time. I made my very first passport in order to come to Hawaii.

The late Suga Kunitomo said to me, "I think it's time for you to come to Hawaii and dance with us."

At that time, I was struggling with eating disorders and various anxieties. I could not go to school, so I studied at home on my own. I could not go out during the day time, but I went to Suga's dance studio every night. Dancing was my savior and Suga's dance studio was my sanctuary.

I clearly remember the blue sky I saw while I was dancing on Kalakaua Avenue at age 17. I remember how everyone excitedly cheered for us. I remember feeling space created in my heart, and the ocean breeze twirled through it as I danced.

I felt alive again. I felt loved again. I felt light again.

This year, we had some young dancers (late teens) from Japan. When I saw them, I saw the 17-year-old Akari.

And she danced with me. She was beside me, in front of me, behind me, and in me. She looked happy, really happy. I wanted to tell her, "You might be struggling now, but you will come out of it. You will find light in the tunnel. You will remember that you were the light. Even then, there would be days when you would cry, but there will be so many moments that tastes like a candy drop which has crystalized all the joy in this world. So, go on. Nothing to fear because I am here for you."

An ad in a local newspaper
My friends found me there.

With Yuichiro Kunitomo (Suga's first son)

After the morning rehearsal, the Maui dancers and the dancers from Japan had lunch together.
It was a great reunion. We've known each other for a long time.

Shinnosuke Kunitomo (Suga's second son) posing :)
After the lunch, the dancers from Maui walked around the pier at Waikiki to just pass the time.





I love my dance sisters.



Then we changed into our costumes!
Talasi looks so cool in this photo (I like the way she wore it).


Mika bought a new pair of white shoes because the one she brought wasn't comfortable.

Photo by Akihiro Takeuchi
The parade started!




We walked to the starting point of the parade and waited for our turn.
This is the Maui Dancers plus Okami-san from Japan.
(From left: Okami-san, me, Naoko, Mika, Kaori, and Talasi)


This year, the white kimono had a dragon, and the red one had a phoenix on the back.


Natsu (on the left) was the attendant of the Japanese group this year.
You've done an amazing job, Natsu!


It was sunny! Thank you, Suga-sensei.


With one of our photographers, Akihiro Takeuchi from Japan
(Photographers need to be in photos sometimes.)

Photo by Nozomi Teranishi

Yay!
Photo by Nozomi Teranishi

Only the Maui Dancers had a different choreography, so we reviewed it carefully one more time before the parade.

Photo by Akihiro Takeuchi

Okay, here we go!

Photo by Nozomi Teranishi

Photo by Nozomi Teranishi
We know why we dance.

Photo by Nozomi Teranishi
Yes, for this!



I found old blog entries about the past Honolulu Festivals.

2009
2010
2011
2012
2013

No comments:

Post a Comment