Wednesday, March 19, 2014

EN - Events That Took Place in March


Facebook gives me a small window to lives of many. Though I know that a lot more than being shared is going on in everyone' s life, when I read postings, I am reminded of a simple yet powerful fact that we are alive. We are here on this planet, experiencing various things, thinking and feeling various things, and an amazing thing is that we are all doing it at the same time. We're in different bodies, we're at different locations, and we have different life stories to live and create. But we're here. We are alive. That's something we cannot deny. This simple fact often positively startles me and makes me love you even more.


My friend's daughter Nijika celebrated her 7th birthday.
I've known Nijika's mom way long before she was even a tiny being in her tummy.
It's nice to be able to witness growth of a friend's child over time. 


She had Jolie the Clown as a guest to entertain all the children.
She made lots of fun balloon creatures.


I found this cute sight at the birthday party.
Awww... look at this mochi-like right angled plump cheek!!! I wanted to kiss it so badly but managed to control my urge, not to wake him up from his afternoon nap.


It's more fun to correct math tests at a cafe than at home. 


Look at these giraffes!! Ahhh, I love my students. (I always tell them to draw pictures of a math question if they have a hard time understanding it.) 


Well, that's the smallest giraffe ever (maybe it's a toy giraffe), and that's really gigantic teddy bear. You can't really snuggle with it. They provide me with so much laughter. 


I quietly said, "Roger that" when I saw this message.


I got this coconut from the Farmers Market in Kula. Yum, yum.


Tonight's date destination with my little sister, April was Fresh Mint in Paia. 
We love the restaurant. (Every dish is vegetarian.) 


A partner in crime was in a serious business - looking for a perfect flavor of our desert - yes, ice cream! 


One third is done (I was making report cards although it was Sunday). I think I'm getting better at enticing myself. I say, "You can take a break when you're done this much." 


I changed the location (from home to a cafe) to refresh my mind. One more push! I actually like to write comments although it takes time. It is like writing a love letter to each child.

Later that day, I found myself dismantling the lid part of my rice cooker with a screw driver (not around the electric circuit, so no worry). I felt satisfied and put it back together. It was probably an impulsive behavior I took due to a fact that the report cards were finally done and that I felt so freed! Nah, just kidding! I wanted to clean a part of it, and it seemed like I had to take it apart.


My neighbor Lisa made this yummy soup for me. Appreciated.

One day in March, I woke up at 5 am naturally. Went to a gym class at 5:45 am. Practiced Odissi dance at 7 am. Went to a dental appointment at 9 am. Provided a computer related support to a friend. In exchange, received a facial treatment. Organized photos in my computer. Saw my little hanai sister and spent a good quality time together while I hemmed a new pair of pants, and she corrected my students' math tests. Cooked warm soup. Updated my blog. It was a beautiful and productive day. Thank you, thank you.


I went to see the Alexander Academy's "Swan Lake" on March 17th. I had many students (current and past) and grown-up friends performing in the show. They were all fantastic! It's really great to see them outside of school and to see them finding something they love and pursuing it. I was SO proud! Here is a photo of one of my ballerinas and me (with her parent's permission). (I didn't get to take a picture with each child.) Isn't she adorable with the candy in her hand? This ballet school does not have a set tuition fee. In other words, it's a donation based school, so that students from various economic backgrounds can take their classes. I love that they're providing the artistic outlet and space for the children and the community. Here is their website: http://alexanderacademy.info/ 



No matter how rainy it is, as soon as we dance, the world starts to shine. Thank you for the good practice time, Andria Perkins and Lynette Day Kanelos.


Ho'okipa in one fine March day (after a good surf session)

No comments:

Post a Comment