Wednesday, May 14, 2014

EN - Vocabulary Lessons


If you saw my students' Language Arts books, you would see drawings of vocabulary they have learned so far in this school year.

Whenever we read a new story, we go over some vocabulary by guessing what they may mean. Then we use them in example sentences, draw pictures of the situations (I get ideas from them and draw. I tell them they can copy mine or draw their own version.), act out the situations, and finally write their definitions.

I enjoy this process.
Risk takers enjoy guessing what they may mean by applying their prior knowledge (such as looking at the prefixes and suffixes).
Story tellers enjoy making up sentences.
Artists enjoy drawing the situations.
Actors and actresses enjoy playing various roles.
Linguists enjoy summarizing the discussion into a definition.
And I get to be an audience for all of this process.

Ahh, how I love being a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment