Tuesday, May 20, 2014

EN - The Last Sign Language Class


As you may have read in the past blog entry, my students and I have been learning ASL (American Sign Language).  We have learned over 200 vocabulary this year.

We've been using the materials I received from the DonorsChoose.org, such as DVDs and a card game. Also, I have an application on my iPhone which shows movements of many various ASL vocabulary.


One of our classroom jobs is a "Sign Language Teacher." Every week, everyone gets a different classroom job. When you are a Sign Language Teacher, your job is to come and see me before the lunch recess to learn two new ASL vocab. Then after the recess, you teach the rest of the class.

Today, we had our last ASL class. I hope that we will retain some of what we've learned (I think my students would remember more than I would) and use them with even hearing people, too.

There is something beautiful about using our hands, fingers, movements, and facial expression to communicate. Oh, I see! It's just like dancing!





No comments:

Post a Comment